[SciPy-dev] Compiling scipy with Intel ifort & MKL

rex rex at nosyntax.com
Tue Jun 12 16:55:31 EDT 2007

Matthieu Brucher <matthieu.brucher at gmail.com> [2007-06-12 12:02]:
>     However, examination of the scipy build log shows that it's apparently
>     using gcc instead of icc (which was used in the numpy build) and since
>     gcc & icc are not binary compatible, this is going to cause errors,
>     right?
>

> As far as I know, they are C++ compatible, so they should be C compatible as
> well.

Ah, I was misremembering this: "Note that code compiled by the Intel
Fortran Compiler (IFC) [ifort] is not binary compatible with code compiled by
g77. Therefore, when using IFC, all Fortran codes used in SciPy must be
compiled with IFC. This also includes the LAPACK, BLAS, and ATLAS
libraries. Using GCC for compiling C code is OK."

Still, I'd like to use icc in both numpy and scipy -- mixing them just
doesn't seem like a good idea, and gcc will be slower, especially in the
Core 2 Duo system I'm building on.

Looking at the scipy build log, it appears that the problem may be in distutils/unixccompiler.py

The first g++/gcc stuff appears here:

customize UnixCCompiler
customize UnixCCompiler using build_ext
customize GnuFCompiler
Found executable /usr/bin/g77
gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
customize GnuFCompiler
gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
customize GnuFCompiler using build_ext
building 'scipy.cluster._vq' extension
compiling C++ sources
C compiler: g++ -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -O2 -march=i586 -mtune=i686 -fmessage-length=0 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -g -fPIC

>From my limited (and quite possibly wrong) understanding it appears that
unixccompiler.py/ccompiler.py is not finding icc & mkl. None of the
strings in ccompiler.py for intel match what icc -V returns:

Intel(R) C Compiler for applications running on IA-32, Version 10.0    Build 20070426 Package ID: l_cc_p_10.0.023

Thanks,

-rex

Intel(R) C Compiler for applications running on IA-32