[SciPy-dev] [SciPy-user] changes in scipy.optimization.tnc (v 1.2 to 1.3)

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 19 04:16:49 EDT 2007

Hey Dmitrey,

(I moved this discussion over to the developer's list.)  Dmitrey is
working on upgrading scipy.optimization.tnc from v1.2 to v1.3:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/296
I started working on this awhile ago and never finished it.  The code
I worked on is in scipy.sandbox.newoptimize:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/changeset/2530

Dmitrey has pointed out that the API has changed between 1.2 and 1.3;
however, I don't think it will make much of a difference to anyone who
is using scipy.optimize.tnc anyway.  I was trying to change the
external API of the tnc.py that Jean-Sebastien provides to match the
scipy.optimize interface.  Travis did the same thing when he
originally added tnc version 1.2.  I started making the changes in
revision 2535:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/changeset/2535

I assume this is still what we want to do.  Is there something I am
missing?  Was there some specific change in the tnc v1.3 API that make
it impossible to provide the same interface?

I assume everyone using scipy should be using
scipy.optimize.tnc.fmin_tnc if they want to use the tnc solver.  And I
think I was able to get the arguments to fmin_tnc to be same as
before.

Also make sure to double-check what I did in the sandbox.newoptimize
code, because I was basing it off old code.  There have been some
changes since I worked on it, for instance:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/423

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman