[SciPy-dev] GSoC weekly report

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Fri Jul 6 16:23:05 EDT 2007

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007, dmitrey apparently wrote:
> Here in Ukraine you should work very hard for to earn some
> money, so they have no time to do any additional job,
> moreover for free. And there is no sense to hire me for
> work in their department (and hence assist me) if I will
> spend most of time working for someone else, than their
> projects.

This is drifting OT, but I will add one comment,
since many students may face such situations.

You are mixing together a few different issues.
1. What will you spend your time on.
2. How will it benefit you.
3. How will it benefit them.
4. Will they pay you.

It is still the case that many businesses have trouble
understanding how paying some staff work on free and open
source software can be profitable to the company.  There
a many ways this can work, and it is likely to be very firm
specific.  If you have the dual goals
    - would like to work with these people, and
    - would like to work on FOSS not just as a hobby
then they will need to understand how your FOSS work can be
good for them.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac