[SciPy-dev] Implementing a distance matrix between two sets of vectors concept

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Jul 4 23:38:11 EDT 2007

Peter Skomoroch wrote:
> You're right, I was thinking the sparse data structures would help
> with storing the input vectors themselves during the computation
> rather than the final matrix (which will need to be 1/2 M*N if the
> distance is symmetric)...this comes up a lot in collaborative
> filtering where the dimensionality of the vectors is high, but most of
> the vector entries are missing.
Ok, that this basically means supporting sparse input, right ? I have to
say that I don't know anything about sparse implementations issues in
numpy (or any other language for that matter). I guess that performances
mainly depend on the flexibility between matrix representation and data
storage. Are sparse arrays directly supported in numpy ?

David