[SciPy-dev] Scikits and stuff

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 04:33:24 EST 2007

On Dec 28, 2007 1:56 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> > gscikits --- For GPL encumbered packages regardless of origin or destiny.
>
> I think this is a misnomer. There are also LGPL-, MPL-, CPL-, CeCILL-, OPL-,
> etc-encumbered packages, too. I don't see a good reason to not let these
> packages use the scikits namespace. Every package has its own license; scikits
> is not a package. It's just not that confusing.

Personally, I don't see why different licenses would necessitate
different namespaces either.  IMO separating BSD scikits from
everything else would needlessly confuse new users and diminish the
overall 'scikit' mind share.

Is it not fair to say that the distinctions among the various licenses
are completely unimportant to the vast majority of the audience
scikits is supposed to address?  Furthermore, does anyone want to
police this sort of policy should 100s of scikits be developed?

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> The point is that it is very useful for users to be able to know that
> scikits and scipy and scipydev have a BSD or similar license, but
> "scifree" is GPL-like and creates possible encumbrances for people who
> use it in their code bases.

I doubt that anyone who's legitimately concerned about such matters is
going to trust that scikit.foo is actually BSD code without verifying
it personally.

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com