[SciPy-dev] Scikits and stuff

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 01:12:31 EST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007 10:23 PM, Anne Archibald <peridot.faceted at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28/12/2007, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> > - scikits: domain-specific toolkits and other self-contained packages
> > that might be at some point candidates for scipy, but aren't yet
> > mature enough to be included in the core.  License can be BSD or GPL,
> > per-package.  It's a namespace package, so users can install only the
> > components they want and update each independently.
>
> I think I agree with this - not that I'm a developer, but I hope you
> won't mind a user's opinion: it's really hard to tell whether a

Thanks for your input, which I think provides a useful perspective on
the above.  But I'd like to make sure that something is clear:

- user opinions are *always* welcome and encouraged on these lists.  I
myself hardly count as a numpy/scipy developer, but that has never
stopped me from opening my big mouth, and it shouldn't stop anyone
else.  This is a community where the lines between users and
developers are deliberately blurry and fluid: we expect anyone using
these tools to one day be able to contribute something as a developer,
and the next day to need help on the lists (Robert Kern excepted :).

If at any point a comment of mine made it appear otherwise, I
apologize, as it was certainly not my intent.  The whole point of
working in this type of environment is that contributions are accepted
because of their intrinsic value, not because of whose name is behind
them.  *Credit* (in commit logs, credit files, etc) goes with names as
is the standard tradition in academia, but hopefully we'll always
acknowledge a good idea regardless of where it comes from.

- Having said the above, there are users who have earned massive
amounts of good karma due to stellar contributions on these mailing
lists,  and you are certainly at the very top of that group.  Even
more reason to always voice your opinion!

Cheers,