[SciPy-dev] superlu sources and Debian

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Tue Aug 28 10:34:17 EDT 2007

Hi,

I adopted the scipy package in debian, it will be fixed soon. And
definitely I'll be available to test the new release so that it works
in Debian.

In the process of polishing the package I noticed there are sources of
SuperLU included, but not of the umfpack. I think either there should
be both sources of superlu and umfpack, or nothing. I personally am
for nothing, since they are already in Debian as separate packages, so
it is better to link against already installed packages - saves space
and it is the cleaner solution. Also if there are some bugs discovered
and fixed by upstream (superlu, umfpack) or the maintainer of the
respective debian package, all I need is to recompile the scipy
package, so I am using the work made by others (contrary to
distributing the sources of superlu ourselves, in which case we need
to fix everything).

Ondrej