[SciPy-dev] some problems with optimize.py docstrings

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Mon Aug 27 15:02:15 EDT 2007

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007, dmitrey apparently wrote:
> So do you want me to commit the changes I done to svn right now, before
> tomorrow scipy 0.6 release?

You are talking *only* about documentation improvements,
even though incomplete?  Is that right?  Then unless Jarrod
objects, that seems OK.

> 1) is (gc, fc) really equal to _ls_fc, _ls_gc? Maybe vise versa?
> As for me, I don't know what are those return params mean.

Did you try comparing to the related minpack routines?

> 2) documentation has the line
> "For the zoom phase it uses an algorithm by" (so what should be here?)

Only Travis can say ...

> 3) Description misses meanings of amax, old_fval, old_old_fval (same to
> line_search_BFGS)

Again, did you try comparing to the related minpack
routines?

>    if (phi_a0 <= phi0 + c1*alpha0*derphi0):
>        return alpha0, fc, 0, phi_a0
> #NOTE: 4 params instead of 3 ...  if (phi_a1 <= phi0
> + c1*alpha1*derphi0):
>        return alpha1, fc, 0, phi_a1
> #same: 4 params instead of 3
>        if (phi_a2 <= phi0 + c1*alpha2*derphi0):
>            return alpha2, fc, 0, phi_a2
> #same

Note that in every case, one of the parameters is 0.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac