[SciPy-dev] GSoC weekly report

dmitrey openopt at ukr.net
Sat Aug 18 05:05:41 EDT 2007

Hi all,
because of some reasons (including work and study in my dept) I'm a
little bit out of my GSOC schedule but I hope I'll have all it done
in-time, and/or I will spent some more days after GSoC finish.

So, this week I updated openopt documentation, some examples were added
(see ./examples/nlp_1.py, nlp_2.py, qp_1.py, milp_1.py, lp_1.py, nsp_1.py)
2 solvers from scipy were connected: l_bfgs_b as scipy_lbfgsb and tnc as
scipy_tnc.
I tried to connect cobyla, but I encountered some problems described in
my blog
http://openopt.blogspot.com/2007/08/lbfgsb-from-scipyoptimize-have-been.html

I've got another one letter from ALGENCAN developers. They informed me
they took into account some my propositions (using numpy.array instead
of python list etc) and have already implemented them. However, I
informed them of some more proposition, and still there are no answer -
will they implement those ones or not. On the other hand, I think it's
already pass enough requirements to be implemented as openopt solver,
and I guess it will be much more effective than lincher (because
sometimes it's more effective than well-known IPOPT). However, it
requires several days to connect, and I'm enable to do this without GSoC
schedule modification.
Read more about the ALGENCAN letter at
http://openopt.blogspot.com/2007/08/news-from-algencan.html

openopt tickets 33 and 34 filed by Nils Wagner had been fixed (however,
I didn't observed problem of 33rd) and should be closed, but I still
have troubles with login/register in projects.scikits.org, and Jeff
Strunk hasn't answered my letter yet. See
http://openopt.blogspot.com/2007/08/openopt-tickets-33-and-34.html for
more details.

Also, some minor changes to lincher were made (I have no time for major
enhancements).

Regards, D.