[SciPy-dev] Which matrix library in C++ for scipy

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Thu Apr 26 07:23:33 EDT 2007

Matthieu Brucher wrote:

>     At this point, the best choice for myself has been using
>     boost::python with
>     boost::ublas.  I also use boost::multi_array.
>

> Does scipy depend on Boost ? In that case, I can use it.
> I posted a message in the user list some time ago about neighboors
> algorithms in Python, and I had a link to BioPython, based on C++. I
> could use it, but don't want to install BioPython, and I'm willing to
> contribute my own version - I have it for a long time, and as I'm
> migrating toward Python for my work, much more easy to use - to scipy.
> In that perspective, I don't want to have a dependency on something
> that is not already there, and in scipy and in my own C++ code - that
> works very well ;) -.
scipy does certainly not depend on Boost. Blitz is used in weave, but I
don't know if this is mandatory (and it includes the blitz library); I
think that actually, a C++ compiler is not even mandatory. Maybe I am
missing something, but why the need for a matrix library for basic
neighbors algorithm ?

David