[SciPy-dev] SciPy improvements

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 17:06:55 EDT 2007

Joe Harrington wrote:
> Just a comment on Robert's otherwise-excellent reply, we agreed some
> time ago that the forum for discussing changes to the site is this
> list, not trac.  This is because many participants such as myself are
> not involved in code development and do not have (or need) trac
> accounts.

I don't actually recall any agreement to that effect. The Trac exists for
tracking issues for all parts of the project, not just bugs in the code. If you
want to be active in the project even you are not a developer of code, use the Trac.

> We should *not* encourage people simply to romp in the
> pages and restructure as they please, as the web site is in constant
> public view by more than just developers and should therefore not be a
> playground for testing ideas (except for DevZone, which is
> specifically for that purpose).  Shortly after the switch to the Moin
> site, someone went in and rewrote a bunch of the pages to follow their
> own style, and it made us realize that an open invitation to edit was
> not the best idea.

Again, I'm pretty sure that there was no such universal realization.

I explicitly do encourage people to use the Wiki and change pages as they see
fit (except for FrontPage because it's special). If you are concerned about
changes, watch the RSS feed and change things back if you disagree with the
changes. If there is continued disagreement, then bring it to the list. That's
how Wikis are supposed to work.

We have no lack of suggestions on this list about how a page ought to look or
what it ought to have. What we lack are people actually willing to put the time
in to do the edits and provide the content. I encourage the latter; the former
needs no such encouragement.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."