[SciPy-dev] from scipy import maxentropy fails with Python 2.5

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 12:47:57 EDT 2006

Lars Bittrich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried to compile scipy with Python 2.5 and Intel C++/Fortran compiler. The
> first import failed:
>
> In [1]:from scipy import *
>    File "[...]/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/maxentropy/maxentropy.py",
> line 69
>      from __future__ import division
> <type 'exceptions.SyntaxError'>: from __future__ imports must occur at the
> beginning of the file
>
> That problem was easy to fix just by following the instructions of that
> message in 2 files:
>
> scipy/maxentropy/maxentropy.py
> scipy/maxentropy/maxentutils.py
>
> Is that import necessary with Python 2.5 or even Python 2.4?

Yes. Integer division will not be changing in the 2.x releases.

I'm checking in a change that moves those statements up, but not before
docstrings. I don't have a 2.5 interpreter to check this out with, and I can see
no reference to it in the "What's New" documentation, so please let me know if
it works for you.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."