[SciPy-dev] PRIMME: PReconditioned Iterative MultiMethod Eigensolver

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 02:10:45 EDT 2006

Brian Granger wrote:
> My few cents...
>
> While the license issues are important, I don't think they should be
> the only thing that is considered when deciding about what gets
> included into scipy.  A few things that I think /should/ be strongly
> considered:

I agree. I would have mentioned them, too, but I blanked when I wrote that
email.  :-)

> I do think it is a good idea to keep the non BSD code in a separate
> namespace (as Fernando has suggested).  Either that or they can be
> hosted as separate foo.scipy.org projects like ipython.scipy.org,
> pyxg.scipy.org, wavelets.scipy.org, etc.  Why not have
> PyPRIMME.scipy.org?

Of course, since no one has actually stated that they will make wrappers for
PRIMME, that example is a bit moot.  :-)

Anyways, I'd rather start making a scikits.scipy.org and establish the scikits
namespace for administrative reasons if nothing else. While projects.scipy.org
is a useful hub as it is, the overhead of yet another Trac/SVN/MoinMoin instance
is probably needless. I think it's going to be easier to convince someone with a
useful package to simply add themselves to scikits.scipy.org and share the
administrative burden of the site. Of course, we'll still happily add new
top-level projects that can't be or simply don't want to be a scikits package.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco