[SciPy-dev] PRIMME: PReconditioned Iterative MultiMethod Eigensolver

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Oct 27 22:29:23 EDT 2006

Robert Kern wrote:

> The only reason that wrappers for FFTW and UMFPACK are allowed are because they
> are optional. We need people to be able to "install scipy" without needing to
> install *any* GPL or LGPL code even if the only code in our SVN repository is
> just the BSD-licensed wrappers.
>
> If you want more wrappers for GPL or LGPL software, it's time to start the
> scikits package. I'd really like to avoid more optional wrappers. It makes
> writing code that depends on scipy much harder.

I have seen scikits mentioned before already, but I didn't find an
explanation on what it is (supposed to be ?) in the archive. Is it just
a separate svn branch to have clean separation between code which
depends on different bindings ? I am not sure to understand the link
between scikits and the problem of depending on optional codes ?

cheers,

David