[SciPy-dev] PRIMME: PReconditioned Iterative MultiMethod Eigensolver

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 16:57:58 EDT 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> How should we proceed?  Can Robert set up a new SVN tree for scikits?
> Can I?  What kind of things should go into scikits.  How should they be
> installed -- under the scikits name-space (do we really like that name
> --- it sounds quirky to me)?

When you decide on a name, Jeff Strunk <jstrunk at enthought dot com> can set up
a projects.scipy.org project for it. Since each sciwhatever.* subpackage will be
separate from the others, I would recommend following Zope's lead and keeping
the sources separate although they share a common namespace package. E.g.

trunk/
   audio/
     README
     setup.py
     sciwhatever/
       __init__.py
       audio/
         __init__.py
         audiostuff.py
   primme/
     README
     setup.py
     sciwhatever/
       __init__.py
       primme/
         __init__.py
         eigenstuff.py

I think the focus of sciwhatever should still be on open source packages, so I
would reject packages with research-use-only licenses and the like.

I must admit that I'm kind of fond of "sciwhatever" as a name, now.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco