[SciPy-dev] Online SciPy Journal

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 00:00:50 EDT 2006

> I can see your point, and we definitely want to make it as broadly
> interesting as possible.  But, naturally, it will self-select those who
> are interested in using Python for scientific computing.  Having
> reviewers be publishers is not the problem.   We will need more
> reviewers than "editors" (used in the sense of assigning reviewers to
> submissions).

Yes, we definitely need more reviewers than editors.

> >Because of this, no matter what we do, I think it is important to
> >build something that people outside scipy-dev at scipy.org will want to
> >i) read and ii) publish in.  The question is how to go about this.
> >

> Outside of scipy-dev definitely, outside of scipy-user?  maybe, outside
> of both scipy-user and numpy-discussions?  I don't think so.    The
> point is to grow both scipy-user and numpy-discussions.  Perhaps they
> become an integral part of the review process.  I don't know.   Maybe a
> forum page is better for that.

True, if you start to include the entire Numpy community, the group
does begin to cover all those who would be interested in scientific
computing with python - and others as well.

> >Another thing that might be important is to have a rolling publication
> >model like that of the physics arxiv or boost - rather than a
> >traditional model of having issues/volumes published at regular
> >intervals.
> >
> I'm not sure what the difference is between the arxiv "rolling" model
> and the traditional model modified only to the point that you publish
> each submission as it gets "accepted" as an issue.   I haven't studied
> the arxiv model though.

The main difference I was referring to is that in a rolling model,
each article is published on a web site immediately upon being
accepted/edited without waiting for the next "volume" of the journal
to be published.  I guess the rolling model is more like a continuous
stream of article, whereas the traditional model (of print journals
for instance) is bunches of article packages as a monthly or
bi-monthly "volume"  The arxiv is different in other ways, but I
didn't have those in mind.