[SciPy-dev] Online SciPy Journal

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Oct 3 12:11:16 EDT 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:

>I think this is an important and wortwhile idea, and I'm willing to help.
>However, I think it's worth clarifying the intent of this effort to make sure
>it really does something useful.

Thank you.  Much of what you have written I've been concerned about as
well.

#1 is my priority as well.  When I talked about a Journal I meant it as
a name one could use when citing #1.  In other-words the Journal is a
way to archive and document the contributions to open-source packaging.

>The GAP developers seem to have found that a clearly defined process of review
>is enough to satisfy #1 without having to create a journal.  It may be worth
>at least considering this option before going full bore with a journal idea.

Definitely.

>In any case, I'm very interested in this and I'm willing to help, and I didn't
>mean to undermine the enthusiasm displayed so far.

I don't think you've undermined enthusiasm.  You have identified what we
should be thinking about.  As I've looked around at what's available,
there are already a host of journals one can submit "algorithms" to.
I'd like to figure out a way we can get "peer-review" credit for
contributions to the open-source world by establishing some sort of
peer-review process.

At my university (BYU) two things are looked at for
"scholarship"-points.  1) peer-review and 2) novelty.

The #1 we can easily argue for with open-source software.  The novelty
issue is what most people looking at contributions to scientific
computing with Python will probably wonder about.   Is code that
implements some other-wise well known algorithm in Python "novel".
Here is what my University documents indicate about scholarship evidence:

"It should be of high quality and contain some element of originality,
either in the form of new knowledge, new understanding, fresh insight,
or unique skill or interpretation"

Other documents may differ, but I think a strong case can be made for a
lot (but not all) of the software that gets written for SciPy has at
least "unique skill or interpretation" but perhaps also "new
understanding" and "fresh insight."

Other factors include:  the definition of "well-known" algorithm is
usually quite subjective.  A lot of "well-known" algorithms actually
require quite a bit of decision-making / tweaking to implement in a
particular language.   Not only that, but the design of an interface to
code is also an aspect of code writing that could be considered scholarly.

I really think that having well-stated goals and a good peer-review
process and someway to "cite" the work would go a long way to solving
the problem of "how can I get credit for this software"

-Travis