[SciPy-dev] PIL and sparse matrices?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 20:18:26 EST 2006

>From what I understand PIL images are basically stored as a list of pointers
to rows of data.  It's a good way to do it if you want to manipulate images
so big that you become unlikely to be able to allocate that much contiguous
free space.
It seems to me that CSR sparse matrices are pretty similar in structure,
just with the addition of a list of indices per row.  Perhaps the same
machinery could be dumbed down a bit to allow for PIL image data to be
handled directly in SciPy.  Perhaps a "UDR" format (uncompressed dense row)?

Just a thought.
--bb