[SciPy-dev] [Scipy-dev] Some code for Gaussian Mixture Model

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue May 2 12:17:43 EDT 2006

David Cournapeau wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I recently ported some of my matlab code, itself inspired by code
> found on h2m toolbox (http://www.tsi.enst.fr/~cappe/h2m/) for learning
> Gaussian Mixtures Models (diagonal and full covariance matrices) with
> Expectation Maximization algorithm.
>     If there is some interest, I would like to give the code to scipy,
> but there are some things I am not sure about:
>
>     - how to properly "submit" the code ?

Is it large? If so, could you put a tarball on a website somewhere? If it's just
one file, then attaching it to a ticket on the Trac works just fine.

  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy

You will need to register first before you can create a ticket. We had spam
problems.

>     - license: must the license be BSD-like ? (I want to be sure about
> the license before publishing the code)

Yes. For convenience, we prefer that you use the license contained in
LICENSE.txt in the scipy source distribution. You can just switch out the
copyright statement at the top. You are a "contributor" in the text of (c) so
you can leave it as is, if you like. As far as I am concerned, though, you can
just state that the terms are those given in scipy's LICENSE.txt.

IANAL. TINLA. But this does make it easiest for us.

Thank you very much for your contribution! I look forward to using it.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco