[SciPy-dev] [Numpy-discussion] Re: numpy.linalg prevents use of scipy.linalg?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 05:04:16 EST 2006

Zachary Pincus wrote:
>>What version of scipy are you using? Before reporting a bug, please
>>make sure it
>>exists in the current SVN revision.
>
> Sorry I didn't include the version (0.4.6, by the way) in my first
> email. My oversight.
>
> As to your latter statement, are you sure about that? You're only
> interested in getting bug reports from people who rebuild scipy from
> the svn every night, or who have tracked down the problem to the line
> so they know where in the svn to see if it's fixed?

No, I don't expect everyone to rebuild scipy every day. However, when you think
you've found a bug, it is standard procedure for you to build the most recent
version to test it and see if the bug is still there. So yes, I do expect people
to build from SVN when they're about to report a bug, but no more often.

Locating the line of code causing the bug doesn't enter into it. Just try the
operation that failed under the previous version.

> If that's the case, it's certainly your prerogative.

It's just standard operating procedure for many projects. E.g.

  http://bugs.php.net/how-to-report.php
  http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/reportbugs.html

--
Robert Kern