[SciPy-dev] band matrix wrapping ready for inclusion

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Fri Jun 16 06:03:54 EDT 2006

Hi,

thanks to Johannes Loehnert and Waltraut Wustmann
the previous f2py wrappers have been supplied with many
more unit-tests, documentation and wrappers
for hermitian band matrices.
The wrappers deals with:
  <s,d>sbev       <s,d>sbevd      <s,d>sbevx
  <c,z>hbevd      <c,z>hbevx
  <s,d,c,z>gbtrf  <s,d,c,z>gbtrs
  <s,d>lamch
In addition front-end routines `eig_banded`, `eigvals_banded`
for inclusion in  Lib/linalg/decomp.py are provided.

The current version is at
  http://www.physik.tu-dresden.de/~baecker/python/band.zip

Pearu, it would be nice if you could have a look
at the wrappers and let us know whether anything needs to
be done/improved.
If you prefer I can do a commit (after following the steps in the TODO),
but I would like to get your ok first
(I also don't mind if you prefer to make the corresponding
changes ;-).

Hope the result is useful not just for us but also to others.
In addition, the contents of band.zip might be helpful
as an example on how to provide wrappers
for other LAPACK routines.

Best, Arnd

P.S.: In the long run one could also think of adding code
for performing inverse iteration, but this might also fit
into the sparse matrix department.