[SciPy-dev] Next SciPy release

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Fri Jul 21 05:24:32 EDT 2006

On Jul 21, 2006, at 1:03 AM, Ed Schofield wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to make a new SciPy release early next week to sync with
> NumPy 1.0b1.

Great!

> It would have been nice to release SciPy 0.5.0 to
> coincide with NumPy 1.0 (final), but I suppose the next release
> should be numbered 0.5.0, following Andrew Straw's suggestion in
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/170.

After re-reading that sentence a few times, it's still not clear to
me exactly what you mean. Let me skip to my suggestion, which
actually seems to be what you're rejecting:

numpy    scipy
0.9.8    0.4.9     # release (already done)
0.9.9.x  0.5.0.x   # svn revision x (already done)
1.0b1    0.5.0b1   # release
1.0b1.x  0.5.0b1.x # svn revision x
1.0b2    0.5.0b2   # release
1.0b2.x  0.5.0b2.x # svn revision x
1.0      0.5.0
1.0.x    0.5.0.x

Technically, yes, this violates the principle that the temporal
sequence of version numbers should also sort with setuptools or
debian's dpkg or whatever. (scipy numbered 0.5.0.x after the 0.4.9
svn versions but that temporally precedes the 0.5.0b series would
sort after the 0.5.0b series). However, I'd rather deal with that
than break the 2:1 ratio that has happened with the release version
numbers, which would be particularly nice to have at 1.0/0.5. If we
stick to the above suggestion, future releases (and interim svn
versions) should sort to the temporal order.

As a digression (since discussing version numbering schemes is so
productive), numpy is presumably going to have a slowed release cycle
after 1.0, and thus we probably won't be able to keep scipy in such
version-number lock(half)step. (Other ways to keep the lockstep exist
but seem less desirable IMO: few scipy releases will get made, numpy
version numbers will have to jump to allow scipy some room to grow.)

Back to the first issue -- one could argue that we might as well
break the lockstep between numpy/scipy version numbers now, as I
think you might be. My opinion leans towards opposition because the
releases are so close to some nice, round easy-to-remember numbers.

Anyway, debian's dpkg has ways to force version numbers to sort
properly, even if the release numbers don't. I don't know if
setuptools does, but I presume you can at least force things to work
somehow.

Finally, this is really only an issue for people packaging stuff out
of svn, who basically know they are living on the bleeding edge to
begin with, and I hope no one spends as much time on this issue as I
have! :)

-- Andrew

PS I'm posting this email back into Trac so it doesn't get forgotten
when we get closer to future releases.