[SciPy-dev] What is this dispatch thing ?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 12:26:06 EDT 2006

David Huard wrote:
> Hi,
> I just updated scipy from svn and stats.linregress(x,y) returns
>
> /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/stats.py in __call__(self, arg1, *args,
> **kw)
>     244     def __call__(self, arg1, *args, **kw):
>     245         if type(arg1) not in self._types:
> --> 246             raise TypeError, "don't know how to dispatch %s
> arguments" %  type(arg1)
>     247         return apply(self._dispatch[type(arg1)], (arg1,) + args, kw)
>     248
>
> TypeError: don't know how to dispatch <type ' numpy.ndarray'> arguments
>
> Also, in ipython, linregress? returns a doc about the dispatch class. Is
> this intended ?

That version of stats.py is not from scipy. That version tried to handle lists
as well as arrays. The functions for each type were wrapped by a dispatching
class that would call the appropriate version depending on the argument type.
That version of stats.py was written for Numeric and cannot deal with numpy arrays.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco