[SciPy-dev] ARPACK wrappers

Riccardo de Maria r.demaria at tiscali.it
Fri Jul 14 11:56:32 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm very interested in having a eigenvalue solver for sparse matrix,
but I've never used the ARPACK library.

> My current (limited) thinking is to use f2py for the ARPACK "utility"
> functions, and then to port the example "driver" functions to python,
> calling the wrapped ARPACK utility functions. The pythonised driver
> functions should be the interface that the user sees, and should allow
> the specification of matrix solution strategy (if appropriate) etc.

As far as I remember, ARPACK needs the definition of a vector matrix
multiplication routine for handling the matrix format. I don't know if
scipy has already a set of low-level vector matrix multiplication
routines for each type of matrix storage. If they exist I think most
of the job is done.

Any ideas?

Riccardo