[SciPy-dev] Scipy-0.4.9 and BLAS? srotmg_ erros

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Fri Jul 14 02:22:16 EDT 2006

On 06/07/2006, at 8:07 PM, clarence at broad.mit.edu wrote:

> Hopefully I've subscribed to the correct list for this inquiry.   I'm
> currently attempting to get scipy-0.4.9 built/installed correctly with
> numpy-0.9.8 and the latest BLAS/LAPACK libs to be used on Linux.
> Everything builds and installs fine without errors (seemingly), and I
> encounter the problem when trying to do a python scipy.test(level=1):
>
> import integrate -> failed: scipy/linalg/fblas.so: undefined
> symbol: srotmg_
> import signal -> failed: scipy/linalg/fblas.so: undefined symbol:
> srotmg_
> import special -> failed: scipy/linalg/fblas.so: undefined symbol:
> srotmg_
> import lib.blas -> failed: scipy/lib/blas/fblas.so: undefined symbol:
> srotmg_
> import linalg -> failed: scipy/linalg/fblas.so: undefined symbol:
> srotmg_
> import maxentropy -> failed: scipy/linalg/fblas.so: undefined symbol:
> srotmg_
> import stats -> failed: scipy/linalg/fblas.so: undefined symbol:
> srotmg_
>
> I've seen that this is a known bug and that I should get the full BLAS
> implementation, which I have and was using anyways.  I don't want to
> use the ATLAS option if possible, and my BLAS/LAPACK libs did build
> without a hitch.  Are there any other checks I can do to verify that
> scipy built against my libs correctly?  Unfortunately this is a time
> sensitive issue for my team and any clue you can provide is
> appreciated.

Hi Clarence,

Check out this thread: http://www.scipy.net/pipermail/scipy-user/2002-
May/000434.html

In summary: BLAS provides srotmg but LAPACK doesn't. So you need to
download and build BLAS from Netlib. There are instructions for this
at http://new.scipy.org/Wiki/Installing_SciPy/BuildingGeneral.

-- Ed