[SciPy-dev] The new SciPy.org

Joe Cooper joe at enthought.com
Tue Jan 31 06:18:27 EST 2006

Hi all,

As threatened, the new Moin wiki has taken over the SciPy.org site.

The migration has proven even more complicated than anticipated (and I
anticipated a lot of complexity), so some services remain on the old
server as of this morning.  This will be wrapped up later today, after I
get some sleep.

Some of the things that have gone well:

- The wiki is great.  Andrew and Oliphant and lots of others did a
fantastic job on it.

- Mailing list archive links have an accurate Moved Temporarily redirect
  (i.e. google links to scipy archives will continue to work).  I need
to hash out with Travis how he'd like to handle the mailing list
archives going forward, as he wrote the scripts that integrated them
into Plone, and obviously those aren't going to work in Moin.  I wrote
something in Perl in the meantime, but I imagine that'll go away as soon
as Travis becomes aware of it.

- It will be possible to redirect most "sections" of the old plone site
to a similar section on the Moin site...I just need to figure out which
sections from Plone apply to what in the Wiki.  This will be a
time-consuming thing, but is probably worth the trouble in order to keep
some google links working reasonably well some of the time.

Some things that remain outstanding:

- Mail and list migration.  I don't expect trouble with this, it just
takes a long time, and requires attention to a lot of boring details.

- Takeover of the old IP, so that DNS service for the "scipy.org" domain
is taken over by the new server.  This one is moderately tricky, since
we have a half-dozen delegated domains for the other projects hosted on
the server (ipython, neuroimaging, etc.).  Those have to be merged back
into the scipy zone.

I'm sure there are problems somewhere...But it's running relatively
well, with at least working content everywhere I thought to poke.

Holler if you see anything glaringly stupid caused by the change.

Thanks!