[SciPy-dev] [Numpy-discussion] Re: numpy/scipy some remarks

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed Jan 18 13:19:49 EST 2006

Robert Kern wrote:

>Fernando Perez wrote:
>

>>Anyway, I won't belabor this point any longer.  I'd just like to hear from
>>others their opinion on this matter, and if a decision is made to go ahead
>>with the overwriting, at least I think the rationale for it should be well
>>justified (and be more than "it's convenient").  The fact that over the last
>>few weeks we've had several surprised questions on this is, to me, an
>>indicator that I'm not the one uncomfortable with this decision.
>>

>I haven't followed this discussion in great detail, but I believe the current
>situation is this:
>
>1) If you use numpy.dft and numpy.linalg directly, you will always get the numpy
>versions no matter what else is installed.
>
>2) If you want to optionally use optimized scipy versions if they are available
>and regular numpy versions otherwise, then you use the functions exposed in
>numpy.dual. You do so at your own risk.
>
>3) pkgload() exists to support the loading of subpackages. It does not reach
>into numpy.dft or numpy.linalg at all. It is not relevant to this issue.
>
>4) There are some places in numpy that use numpy.dual.
>
>I think we can address all of your concerns by changing #4.

This is an accurate assessment.  However,  I do not want to eliminate
number 4 as I've mentioned before.   I think there is a place for having
functions that can be over-written with better versions.   I agree that
it could be implemented better, however, with some kind of register
function instead of automatically looking in scipy...

-Travis