[SciPy-dev] eggs and f2py extensions

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 13:50:12 EST 2006

Christopher Fonnesbeck wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2006, at 5:24 PM, Robert Kern wrote:
>
>> Christopher Fonnesbeck wrote:
>>
>>> Are f2py extensions compatible with eggs? At the moment, if I try to
>>> import setup from setuptools rather than from numpy.distutils, it   does
>>> not recognize fortran extensions.
>>
>> setuptools does interfere with the Fortran extensions to build_ext  a
>> little bit
>> if one isn't careful. Everything works fine if you *build* without
>> setuptools,
>> and then do the bdist_egg command separately with setuptools.
>>
>> E.g.
>>
>>   $ python setup.py build
>>   $ python -c "import setuptools; execfile('setup.py')" bdist_egg
>
> I'm trying to take advantage of the automatic prerequisite installing
> features of setuptools. Do I then have 2 calls: one to  distutils.setup
> (for building) and another to setuptools.setup (for  prerequisite
> verification and installing)?

setuptools.setup is distutils.core.setup. However, numpy.distutils.core.setup is
not distutils.core.setup. Pearu started doing some work to move things out of
numpy.distutils.core.setup such that numpy.distutils can play well with other
distutils extensions. Until that happens, I don't see using setuptools'
extensions to the setup() keywords with numpy.distutils.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter