[SciPy-dev] ReSt for new.scipy.org?

Andrew Straw strawman at astraw.com
Fri Jan 6 12:54:06 EST 2006

>Would a `#FORMAT rst` in the first line of a page
>(e.g. as I used here: http://new.scipy.org/Wiki/ArndBaecker )
>be ok as well?

Yes, clearly that works, too!

>P.S.: Somehow the wiki seems a bit slow, not sure
>if it is the overall connection speed:
>  ping new.scipy.org
>  PING new.scipy.org (216.62.213.231) 56(84) bytes of data.
>  64 bytes from 216.62.213.231: icmp_seq=1 ttl=40 time=170 ms
>does not look that bad, or ?

I'm a little concerned about this, too. The ping latency is probably
nothing compared to the serious time-sink -- right now, the wiki is
configured as a .cgi script, which means that every request starts a new
Python process. There are several ways around this: FastCGI and
mod_python, to name two. I've set up servers with both of these in other
contexts, and either works fine but I'd recommend the FastCGI route
simply because it separates the Python process from the apache process.
When/if Enthought wants to tackle this, I'm happy to help! For more
info, see here: http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/HelpOnInstalling/FastCgi