[SciPy-dev] Now new svn of numpy is ready

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Thu Jan 5 02:50:22 EST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> Arnd Baecker wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Travis Oliphant wrote:
> >

> >>My previous post was pre-mature as the fixed numpy was only in the numpy
> >>branch.     I have now finished *merging* the changes from the numpy
> >>branch into the trunk so
> >>
> >>svn co http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/trunk numpy
> >>
> >>should not only check out something that compiles and installs *but
> >>also* intalls into the numpy namespace
> >>
> >>so that running in python

> >>should work.
> >>

> >First many thanks for your hard work! Looks very good,
> >just a minor problem:
> >

> You need to remove scipy_base from your system (or at least from the
> site-packages directory you are running for Python).  I'm pretty sure
> the new scipy won't work with the old scipy (which is what scipy_base
> comes from).
>
> This will need to be emphasized on install of the new system....    Get
> rid of the old system first...

Fair enough - *but*:
I have a working (old)  scipy in site-packages (the one
which I use for real work.
All testing installs of numpy and (new) new scipy go to some other place
(~/BUILDS3/Build_113/inst_numpy, ~/BUILDS3/Build_113/inst_scipy)
These two directories are pre-pended to my python path
and if I had installed (new) new scipy then the import should
have found the right one.

Removing the `try: import scipy.linalg except ImportError:`
from `site-packages/numpy/linalg/__init__.py` cures the
problem (all tests pass).
(Actually, this was already adressed in Fernando's mail before).

Fernando wrote:

> You were saying... performance or side effects?
>
> I think you just made my case. ;-)

yes I did. (but you convinced me before ... ;-)

best, Arnd