[SciPy-dev] New name is *numpy*

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Wed Jan 4 16:30:56 EST 2006

Pearu Peterson wrote:

>Hi Travis,
>
>On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Travis Oliphant wrote:
>

>>Note that the new repository still needs to do the name changes (these
>>are happening on the branches/numpy branch so the trunk will be usable
>>during the change).  I will work very hard to make the name changes
>>quickly, but it may take several hours to a full day.  I think this will
>>push our release day out a bit...
>>

>How are you doing with the translation? I have almost finished script
>that converts codes to using 'numpy', if you are almost finished with
>converting scipy_core, I'll concentrate on converting "full scipy" to use
>numpy.

I'm almost done with numpy.  I'm trying to get tests to pass, right now...

Focus on full scipy.  Especially, the __init__.py file.   Should we move
the Package Loader Class out of the numpy/__init__.py file or not?

I've split out old scipy.base into

numpy.core
numpy.lib

but both namespaces will be in numpy

so from numpy import xxx, yyy

should work as a replacement for from scipy.base import ***

In numpy I could just search and replace scipy->numpy,  but in full
scipy this will be a bit trickier I think.

Thanks,

-Travis