[SciPy-dev] New name is *numpy*

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed Jan 4 11:49:46 EST 2006

Thank you for all the great ideas regarding a new name.  There were some
very clever ones.  In the end practicality beat out purity and numpy
will be the new name.  With all the history behind the name (yet no
namespace usage) it seems the perfect candidate.  Yes, there are reasons
against it, but in the end it's just a name.  I think Fernando said it
best: "We'll get used to it..."

There is a new name for the repository:

http://svn.scipy.org/svn/numpy/trunk

I did a dump and load operation so the new repository contains all the
old history.  I will delete the scipy_core repository as soon as the
trac pages are set up.

Note that the new repository still needs to do the name changes (these
are happening on the branches/numpy branch so the trunk will be usable
during the change).  I will work very hard to make the name changes
quickly, but it may take several hours to a full day.  I think this will
push our release day out a bit...

If you run into permissions difficulties on the new svn repo, let me
know.  Everybody who had access should still have access... If you still
need access, send me a username...  If I know who you are, I'll set you
up immediately :-)  otherwise I may need some persuading :-)

-Travis