[SciPy-dev] Please vote on the names

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Wed Jan 4 10:37:04 EST 2006

On Jan 3, 2006, at 10:08 PM, Fonnesbeck, Chris wrote:

> On 1/3/06 9:59 PM, "Andrew Straw" <strawman at astraw.com> wrote:
>
>> Do names like "numerics" or "numeriks" open us up to cease-and-desist
>> letters with anything more than empty-threat status from someone who
>> owns a trademark on "numerix"?
>
> According to my wife (a pretty good lawyer), they are close enough as
> to be
> confusing for a potential consumer (recall Lindows), so they should be
> avoided.

To belabor what is almost certainly a moot point now, I doubt that a
generic
term like numerics could be argued to be a trademark violation of a
alternate
spelling of that term. I even wonder if use of numerix is a problem
here since
confusion doesn't seem likely; one is the name of a company and the
other the
name of a free software package. There is obviously no attempt to
leverage off
of their market or awareness of their name. Despite that there
certainly seems
to be a risk in that no one wants to have to argue the point in court
even if
it seems baseless. Probably the company's biggest concern is that
google might
show our numerix over theirs at some point detracting from their
visibility.

Perry