[SciPy-dev] [Fwd: Re: Renaming scipy_core: winner is *numerix*]

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Jan 3 19:06:01 EST 2006

>Gary Ruben writes:
> > I don't know what trademark problems they're referring to, but you might
> > have to continue looking for a different name.
>
>This may be what they're talking about:
>
>http://www.numerix-dsp.com

***Bad News***

Well, I did a search on the U.S. Trademark database and it looks like
they have trademarked the word Numerix.  Here is the result of that search.
*
Typed Drawing*
*Word Mark* 	*NUMERIX*
*Goods and Services* 	IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: computer
software for pricing, valuing, and managing risk of financial
instruments, derivatives, investment securities, and portfolios
therefor, and instructional manuals sold as a unit therewith. FIRST USE:
19970912. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19971224
*Mark Drawing Code* 	(1) TYPED DRAWING
*Design Search Code*
*Serial Number* 	75092619
*Filing Date* 	April 18, 1996
*Current Filing Basis* 	1A
*Original Filing Basis* 	1B
*Published for Opposition* 	July 29, 1997
*Registration Number* 	2302369
*Registration Date* 	December 21, 1999
*Owner* 	(REGISTRANT) Numerix LLC LTD LIAB CO DELAWARE 67 East Cedar
Chicago ILLINOIS 60611
*Attorney of Record* 	Randall M. Whitmeyer
*Type of Mark* 	TRADEMARK
*Register* 	PRINCIPAL
*Live/Dead Indicator* 	LIVE

I'm afraid this is a deal-breaker as our library could be used in this
kind of computation, I'm very concerned that in the future, this company
may decide to try and enforce their trademark which would be a lot of
upheaval.   Should I be concerned?  I also noticed that lots of people
have trademarked the PYTHON word.

How much should I care about this?

By the way, neither psipi   or   scicore have trademark problems.

Also numerics (VISUAL NUMERICS is a trademark) and numeriks could be used.

Please help...

---Travis