[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core: winner is *numerix*

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 3 16:26:49 EST 2006

    Travis> There are a few other people using the name (OCaml
    Travis> library, a financial company, etc.).  There is also a
    Travis> group of Python PETSci users who seem to want to create
    Travis> their own numerical world rather than help make the one we
    Travis> are trying to use better (read Phil Austin's post...).
    Travis> But, it looks like that Python group is trying to rename
    Travis> their stuff so I don't think it's a problem.  Besides
    Travis> numerix has been in use in matplotlib for at least a
    Travis> couple of years, right?

Todd added numerix in matplotlib-0.51, according to the release notes
at http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/whats_new.html which was released
in March of 2004.  It looks like the matplotlib use is the first in
the python world; a search of google groups for

  numerix group:*python*

returns

  http://groups.google.com/groups?q=numerix+group%3A*python*&start=0&scoring=d&hl=en&

with all the posts save the most recent one are clearly referring to
matplotlib numerix.

So as long as Perry and Todd are willing to give it up, and I gather
they are from Perry's comments, it doesn't look like anyone else can
rightfully claim the name.

JDH