[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 3 12:10:16 EST 2006

Charles R Harris wrote:
> On 1/3/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
>

>><snip>
>>
>>That's what I'm thinking, too.  But should we clobber the
>>numerix.ndarray *sub-package* with the numerix.ndarray.ndarray
>

> I'm as confused Fernando. Probably more so, actually. What would
> ndarray.ndarray be? I thought ndarray was the equivalent of the old numeric
> or numarray *without* the subpackages, i.e., all the array functionality, or
> basically multiarray. All the other stuff goes under numerix. What am I
> missing?

Mmh, I agree that ndarray would not have the subpackages (fft, linalg-lite,
random, etc.).  But doesn't the array datatype go in there?  If not, what is left?

Sorry if my lack of clarity has caused confusion.  To try and recap, my take
on it is this: ndarray would be a package containing only the standalone
functionality necessary to _create_ multidimensional arrays.  This package
would ship as part of numerix, but in principle it could be decoupled (it
wouldn't _depend_ on anything else).

At a bare minimum, the ndarray namespace could be (this is stretching it, I'm
sure some basic utilities will be there as well):

ndarray/__init__.py:

__all__ = ['array']

But again, if this discussion is just causing confusion, ignore me :)  The
important point was to clear the scipycore/full-scipy/scipy namespace mess,
and we got that.  At this point, ndarray is an 'implementation detail' I'm
happy to let Travis decide on as he sees fit.

Best,