[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

Ed Schofield schofield at ftw.at
Mon Jan 2 09:11:55 EST 2006

On 02/01/2006, at 4:43 AM, John Hunter wrote:

> I've been happy with the name "numerix" in matplotlib.  It is intended
> to connote "Numeric" in plural, eg numeric, numarray and (now) scipy
> core.  Also, the import abbrev
>
>   import numerix as nx
>
> is a good mnemonic and is less likely to clash with the local
> namespace than other popular historical choices
>
>   import Numeric as N
>   import scipy as s
>   import pylab as p
>
> And lots of folks are using it already as an array-object interface.
> I've been happy in my own code with nx.mlab.mean, nx.arange, and so
> forth....
>
> It appears to me that scipy core is for the most part more Numeric and
> less scipy, in that is has most of what Numeric/numarray offered but
> does not have the bulk of scipy.  Thus a name like numerix may better
> reflect what the package offers: a core array object with benefits.

I like this.  The x in 'numerix' connotes a kind of genericity, as if
all other array packages are just splinters off it.
+1 on numerix

I also had scary dreams last night about the name 'scicore'.  So I'll
withdraw my previous vote:
-1 on scicore

How about 'sciarray'?  It fits in well with 'scipy' and sounds like a
more full-featured version of numarray.  It also seems that
'sciarray.org' is free, no?!

Arguing about the new name is fun, and much easier than real work.  I
think we should change it twice a year.

-- Ed