[SciPy-dev] [SciPy-user] default dtype

Francesc Altet faltet at carabos.com
Mon Jan 2 06:47:48 EST 2006

A Dilluns 02 Gener 2006 03:38, Ed Schofield va escriure:
> +5 on changing the default to float.  I think we'd look back on this
> decision in several years as difficult but right.

Sorry, but I don't agree. If we want Python to include the container
for array objects, making the default be double seems to stress the
fact that this object is meant primarily for scientific use (which is
true to some extent). However, for the sake of stablishing a *real*
standard to keep datasets, I'd advocate the default to remain int. In
addition, there are a lot of uses for integer arrays (indices,
images...). IMO, making the double the default would discourage the
use of the object between people not used to write
scientific/technical apps.

The only issue is the possible confusion in users when they will
receive Int32 arrays in 32-bit platforms and Int64 arrays in 64-bit
ones. I don't know, but perhaps this single reason is strong enough to
change the default to Float64.

Ups, I think I've created more confusion in the discussion,

V   V   Cárabos Coop. V.   Enjoy Data
 "-"