[SciPy-dev] Renaming scipy_core ???

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Sun Jan 1 23:43:14 EST 2006

    Travis> We could call the scipy_core package scicore, or numcore,
    Travis> if that is the only concern.  The biggest concern is that

I've been happy with the name "numerix" in matplotlib.  It is intended
to connote "Numeric" in plural, eg numeric, numarray and (now) scipy
core.  Also, the import abbrev

  import numerix as nx

is a good mnemonic and is less likely to clash with the local
namespace than other popular historical choices

  import Numeric as N
  import scipy as s
  import pylab as p

And lots of folks are using it already as an array-object interface.
I've been happy in my own code with nx.mlab.mean, nx.arange, and so
forth....

It appears to me that scipy core is for the most part more Numeric and
less scipy, in that is has most of what Numeric/numarray offered but
does not have the bulk of scipy.  Thus a name like numerix may better
reflect what the package offers: a core array object with benefits.

JDH