[SciPy-dev] Alternative to Docstrings in C-code

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Sun Jan 1 19:37:34 EST 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> I want to let people know that I've started a little project to remove
> docstrings from c-code and place them in a python module that will
> dynamically add docstrings to builtin functions.  I don't know about
> you, but I hate writing docstrings in C-code.  It's much harder to get
> the formatting to look right, and it's much more painful than in
> Python.  Also, having all the docstrings in one place might actually
> make for a nice little reference.
>
> I don't know what kind of loading speed impact this will have (if any),
> so I'm proceeding cautiously.  Currently, there is a simple utitlity
> called add_docstring in the _compiled_base module that can add a
> docstring to a builtin-function-or-method object or a type object. It
> only works if the object does not already have a docstring (because once
> added the Python string is never released until Python exits).

Great!  I also hate writing docstrings in C, and this may significantly lower
the barrier for users to contribute docstring patches.  It's a lot easier
(esp. if a user is not a C programmer) to edit a plain python file full of
"""strings""" than to dig into the C sources.

Since documentation is an area where users who don't feel comfortable with the
internals can still make excellent contributions, I think this is an excellent
development.

Cheers,