[SciPy-dev] A wiki question on user pages

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Fri Feb 17 06:36:03 EST 2006

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006, Fernando Perez wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if it would be a good idea to make a few broad categories on
> the wiki, so that all the WikiNames aren't purely top-level.  In particular,
> user pages seem like a good candidate for a users/ directory to exist.  So
> far, I'm aware of these two (there may be more)
>
> http://scipy.org/ArndBaecker
> http://scipy.org/PearuPeterson
>
> It might be nicer to have them under
>
> http://scipy.org/users/ArndBaecker
> http://scipy.org/users/PearuPeterson

+1 from me for this!

> no?  This would also make it easier to have a users/Index page listing all
> existing user pages (there's probably a Moin macro that can do that
> automatically).

There are these Categories,
  http://www.scipy.org/CategoryHomepage
When editing a page you can make it belong to some category.
Still I agree that a slightly more hierarchical structure
would help a lot.

> For Trac wikis I know this kind of organization is possible, it may also be
> the case for Moin.
>
> I'm not advocating a 12-levels-deep structure, but at least a few categories like
>
> users/
> doc/
> cookbook/
>
> might help keep the wiki sanely organized for the long run.  Thoughts?

I absolutely agree.

In addition, I find it very confusing to have
  http://www.scipy.org/wikis/topical_software/Tutorial
but neither
  http://www.scipy.org/wikis/topical_software/
nor
  http://www.scipy.org/wikis/
exist?

Also one could think of putting projects which have many pages
into a subtree
(for example all http://www.scipy.org/AstroLib related pages)

BTW, what is the local site map
  "http://www.scipy.org/?action=LocalSiteMap"
supposed to show?
Without any background knowledge I thought that it would
display all pages, but that does not seem to be the case.
Also, pages like
  http://www.scipy.org/NumPy_Tutorial?action=LocalSiteMap
look confusing to me (why, for example, is "SciPy [view]" part of this?).
Am I missing something obvious about this?

Best, Arnd

P.S.: And now I know, why I recently claimed to have found no
options to attach a file to a page:
After a search ("baecker" in my case) you get
http://www.scipy.org/ArndBaecker?highlight=%28baecker%29
and then there the "More actions" menu only
shows "Show Raw Text"/"Show Print View"  ;-)