[SciPy-dev] Eigentest: Test matrices for large-scale eigenproblems

Nils Wagner nwagner at mecha.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Feb 13 13:54:27 EST 2006

Hi all,

This might be of interest.

From: "G. W. (Pete) Stewart" <stewart at cs.umd.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:19:06 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Eigentest: Test matrices for large-scale
eigenproblems

Che Rung Lee I have written a package Eigentest that
produces real
test matrices with known eigensystems. A test matrix,
called an
eigenmat, is generated in a factored form, in which the
user can
specify the eigenvalues and has some control over the
condition of the
eigenvalues and eigenvectors. An eigenmat A of order n
requires only
O(n) storage for its representation. Auxiliary programs
permit the
computation of

(A - s*I)*b, (A - s*I)'*b, inv(A - s*I)*b, and inv(A -
s*I)'*b

in O(n) operations. A special routine computes specified
eigenvectors
of an eigenmat and the condition of its eigenvalues. Thus
eigenmats
are suitable for testing algorithms based on Krylov
sequences, as well
as others based on matrix vector products. The package
contains
implementations in Fortran 77, Fortran 95, C, and Matlab.

The Eigentest package can be downloaded via my home page

http://www.cs.umd.edu/~stewart/

For a paper describing Eigentest click on the Contents
link in the
same page.

Pete Stewart

Nils