[SciPy-dev] ScipyTest vs. NumpyTest

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Sat Dec 23 08:04:46 EST 2006

Hey everyone,

I have a couple of fairly trivial changes that I would like to make,
but I wanted to run them by everyone before going ahead.

I was looking at the testing system and it seems  a little confusing
at this point.  I would like to clean this up and make the testing
more consistent.

First, I wasn't easily able to find documentation.  The DEVELOPERS.txt
file states that every SciPy module should contain:
75 	  + a directory ``tests/`` that contains files ``test_<name>.py``
76 	    corresponding to modules ``xxx/<name>{.py,.so,/}``.  See below for
77 	    more details.
But there is nothing more below.  The old Plone SciPy site had a
development/testguide.html page, but I couldn't find a corresponding
page on the new sites.  I migrated the information from the old Plone
site:  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/wiki/TestingGuidelines
I need to finish the migration to reflect the current state of
affairs, which I will do as I find time. Ultimately, more
documentation about the testing is needed in the code.

Second, it seems that after ScipyTest was changed to NumpyTest in
changeset 2029 there is some confusion about whether to use the new
name or not:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/changeset/2029
Currently the scipy codebase uses both.  I think that for consistency
we should only use NumpyTest.  I am happy to make the changes, but I
wanted to make sure that everyone agreed that this is reasonable.

I also think that the NumpyTest docstring should be updated:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/browser/trunk/numpy/testing/info.py
If no one objects, I will file a ticket with numpy.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley