[SciPy-dev] TimeSeries class now sub-class of MaskedArray

Matt Knox mattknox_ca at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 20 12:33:58 EST 2006

I changed the basic structure of the TimeSeries class in the timeseries module in the sandbox. Previously it was a subclass of a new ShiftingArray class (code for that still available in the sandbox), but now it is just a subclass of MaskedArray.

See my earlier post "time series implementation approach" for a description of the two approaches. Both approaches have their pros/cons, but the ShiftingArray approach (no defined start and end points to the TimeSeries with dynamic expansion to accomodate indices given to it) was much more complicated to implement, and potentially "un-natural" for people used to working with standard arrays.

If anyone has had a chance to look at the module at all, I would be very interested to hear some initials thoughts and opinions (positive or negative). In particular, I'd like to know if people feel that this module is on the right track as a starting point for a timeseries module, or way off base and needs to be radically rethought.

- Matt