[SciPy-dev] sparse matrix multiplication - poor performance

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 12:43:59 EST 2006

On 12/7/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu> wrote:
> The licensing for SPARSKIT is (was) not suitable for use in SciPy.   I
> have used it in the past but couldn't because of licensing issues.

I've learned that SMMP[1] is public domain and well documented[2].  It
consists of a single fortran file with no external dependencies.  I
successfully ran f2py on smmp.f and was able to load the module into
python.

Is there any reason that SMMP could/should not be used for sparse
matrix multiplies?  If not I can try making the necessary changes.

[1] http://www.mgnet.org/~douglas/ccd-codes.html
[2] http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/445062.html

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com