[SciPy-dev] Fwd: [sage-devel] numpy in SAGE, etc.

Gary Ruben gruben at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 7 08:19:07 EST 2006

I suspect William is right about the lack of a standard format hindering
the documentation. I hope something like his format can be adopted. I'd
also specify some way of delineating examples so that they can be
preprocessed and run as part of the unit tests. SAGE uses matplotlib and
it's currently a de facto standard. Could it be adopted in examples
somehow, with any preprocessor perhaps skipping examples which contained
visual examples or modifying them to suppress plot windows appearing?
Maybe a standard way to provide references to example code outside a
docstring should also be defined so that examples covering multiple
functions can be referenced from several places. I suspect this sort of
thing would require breaking away from the standard docstring idea. As
I've mentioned previously, this would also allow doing things like
running the example code interactively.

Another thing that William's email doesn't cover is non-function
documentation; it might be worth defining a similar documentation format
for numpy classes and types.

Finally, should the NOTES: section be used for "see also" tags or should
a SEE ALSO: section be added?

Gary R.

<snip>

> (2) You might think it would be possible to change the docstrings
> at runtime, but I think they may be hardcoded in (many are for
> code defined in extension classes).
>
> OK, so I don't have many options.  Thoughts?  Does anybody
> want to help?   Any person who wants to learn numpy could
> probably easily write these examples along the way.  Instead of
> just learning numpy, you could more systematically learn numpy and
> at the same time contribute tons of useful doctests.

<snip>