[SciPy-dev] ImportError: Inappropriate file type for dynamic loading

Michael McNeil Forbes mforbes at nt05.phys.washington.edu
Mon Aug 21 22:13:11 EDT 2006

I am having some problems with scipy on an Intel Mac.  It built and
installed fine, but when I try to load various components, I get the
following error messages:

Python 2.4.3 (#1, Apr  7 2006, 10:54:33)
>>> import scipy
Overwriting info=<function info at 0x12b3270> from scipy.misc (was <function info at 0x1288930> from numpy.lib.utils)
>>> import scipy.interpolate
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/data/apps/python//lib/python/scipy/interpolate/__init__.py", line 7, in ?
    from interpolate import *
  File "/data/apps/python//lib/python/scipy/interpolate/interpolate.py", line 13, in ?
    import fitpack
  File "/data/apps/python//lib/python/scipy/interpolate/fitpack.py", line 34, in ?
    import _fitpack
ImportError: Inappropriate file type for dynamic loading

It seems that python is having difficulty loading libraries derived
from fortran/c sources, but I am having a very difficult time trying
to figure out why or how to fix this.

I was having some issues earlier with numpy extensions, but was able
to get numpy to build an install cleanly after ensuring that there
were no spurious libraries around (I have installed some previously
pre-compiled version of numpy and scipy that worked fine).

I have verified that the appropriate file _fitpack.so in this case is
being regenerated, but it still cannot be loaded.  I was hoping I
could see exactly how it was generated, but this information seems to
be hidden deep within the distribution utilities and I do not know how
to explore this easily.

I am having related problems when trying to use f2py to generate
simple fortran modules, so I suspect that something is messed up with
my fortran compiler, but the compiler seems to work (the library is generated...)

Any suggestions about how I can try to diagnose and fix this problem?

Michael.