[SciPy-dev] Where to put data for tests?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 07:40:43 EDT 2006

Dear sci-pies,

I am sorry if I have missed the obvious answer to this question, but...

Some of us are working on unit tests for the scipy.io.loadmat routine.
 We would like to provide the tests with simple real examples of
matlab format .mat files, generated by various versions of matlab.
The questions are, where is the best place to put such files, and how
should they best be plumbed into setup.py?  Should they for example be
package data?  We had thought that a subdirectory of tests, called
'data' would be a good place for them.  Does this seem sensible?

Thanks a lot,

Matthew