[SciPy-dev] Check reading the nested fields of a nested array

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Apr 25 12:10:08 EDT 2006

Stefan van der Walt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My message below wasn't very helpful, mainly due to my inability to
> use valgrind properly.  With some help from Albert, I think I narrowed
> down the problem.
>
> The following writes at an invalid memory location:
>

> from numpy import *
>
> ulen = 1
> ucs_value = u'\U0010FFFF'
>
> ua = array([[[ucs_value*ulen]*2]*3]*4,
>            dtype='U%s' % ulen)
> ua2 = ua.newbyteorder()

Thank you very, very much for this very helpful demonstration.  It
allowed me to quickly isolate the problem which was indeed a
memory-access violation due to forgetting to divide the itemsize of a
unicode array by 4 (to get the number of actual unicode characters in
the array).

I think the problem is now fixed.

Please try current SVN.

-Travis