[SciPy-dev] interest in Time series functionality?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 03:02:11 EDT 2006

Matt Knox wrote:

> Currently the FAME database functionality is sort of mangled in with the time
> series module, but that can definitely be separated better. Would the FAME api
> be suitable for the sandbox as well? or just the time series capabilities? I
> suspect database API's aren't really something people would look for on scipy,
> but who knows. At any rate, I am fairly certain there is no existing python API
> for FAME freely available so some people might be interested in that.

FAME is a proprietary package, right? The website (fame.com) looks expensive. I
would really like to see some good tools for handling time series (specifically
calendrical time series) in scipy. I hope that as much functionality as possible
can be decoupled from FAME. I don't think that wrappers to an expensive database
package really belong in scipy although they might be just right for a separate
projects.scipy.org project.

Of course, the API and conventions that you've established by how the non-FAME
bits interact with the FAME bits will probably serve as a useful standard for
talking to other databases with time series information.

--
Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

 an underlying truth."